Charles Church: My Little House Horror

A nightmare that began with the purchase of a brand new home from Charles Church (part of the Persimmon Group, which includes Persimmon Homes, Westbury Partnership). The experience Charles Church gave us has been one we regret every day, we wish we had never seen the house, let alone bought it. Years on, we’re still unable to sell it – they avoid fixing it.

{ 20 comments… read them below or add one }

Thom Andrews October 12, 2010 at 10:00 am

I’ve heard about the many issues surrounding new build properties, one great solution, particularly for couples nearing retirement like us, is to buy a renovated luxury apartment. Me and my wife did just that and there weren’t any structural issues to worry about as the apartments are within an old Edwardian school which has stood for almost a hundred years. It’s a strategy that paid off for us, it may not be right for everyone but well worth considering.

Ursula Moore March 6, 2011 at 1:33 pm

As a conveyancing solicitor, I would add to that that, people buying ‘Luxury apartments’ need to be aware that they may end up paying Service Charges in the region of £3000-£4000 per year! I am amazed at the cost of some of the Service Charges in the ‘luxury apartments’ that some of my clients are buying. Although I point this out to them – often the clients are so ‘in love’ with the apartment that the penny does not drop with them until the first annual service charge account arrives on the doormat.

Further, with retirement apartments – beware of the transfer fees payable to the landlord when you come to sell- these can be as high as 3% of the sale price.

Sonya September 21, 2011 at 12:54 pm

It’s such a shame when a new home is bought and it doesn’t fulfil its promise. You would think that the house builders with all of their property portfolios and experience can get it right, even the simple things. If a home is unfinished, it can potentially cause more problems than a `what you see is what you get’ older property.

Joan | Rossendale May 16, 2012 at 3:07 pm

You expect the builders to put everything right on a new home. At least when you buy an older property, you have a survey which flags up any problems and you do know what you are letting yourself in for.
Hope you have been able to sell

home buyer June 19, 2012 at 10:46 am

This is quite a surprise to hear, Charles Church are generally known as a ‘high-end’ builder.

su October 25, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Very poor experience with charles church/persimmon!!!!!!!!!!!! Carpets throughout have manufacturing faults. Vinyl not fitted correctly. One coat of watercolour paint washes off walls. Guttering not done correctly. Dangerous gate fitted as an extra for £220 with sharp shards of wood sticking out. I could go on and on….and on… Terrible terrible customer care from man in office in Leeds. (He laughed at me when complaining).

darran January 25, 2013 at 6:48 am

We bought new home from charles church. They let us move into the house without firdt having it cleaned. Every hinge had to be changed in the property had to be fully redecorated do to house being in the site managers own words “this plot was being used as our shed” hence the state of it. Had 4 workmen working 8hrs a dayfor 3 weeks putting things to a standard you would expect from a new home. Ruined the pleasure of buying a new home. Had flood 3 months on still havent firred new carpets or took the old one up..left to ourselves to clean up. Charles church customer care is worse people ive had to desl with . Very rude. Pleasent when first buying…then youcan forget the service you arr promised..they sell the dream and dont get close to delivering it….avoid like the plague.

Evan October 3, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Sorry to Hijack your thread a little: I’m trying to request a blog on the Newhomeblogs website so I can make a post but at the bottom it’s asking for an “Access Code” Does anyone know what this is or how I get one? Again, sorry for the thread hijack.

Jose_Rayes October 8, 2013 at 6:48 am

Have you been able to sell your home? Wish you all the best for your (ex) property!

Diana Arnold November 26, 2013 at 7:57 am

I purchased a Charles Church property in 2006 – it took 6 years for defects and a dormer window to be finally correctly snagged and countless appointments and disturbance. Then 2 neighbours encroached with garden extensions onto an Open Space Covenanted by Planning Permission and Purchasers covenants onto an Ancient monument which is a criminal offense. Nothing seems to be able to remove them and I have been unable to sell my house which has been on the market over a year.

Brian December 4, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I`m just about to exchange on a Charles Church house when yesterday stamp duty was cut. They had agreed to pay my stamp duty as part of my deal so I only had a small reduction in the asking price of the property . I phoned this morning to ask if I could re negotiate as I will be approx £5000 worse off in the deal. I was told that there was no negotiating for any one as everyone was asking the same question after yesterdays announcement!! This means that every property Charles Church has agreed to pay stamp duty on, and in so doing not giving much of a reduction in the asking price will be pocketing the saving of stamp duty! The reduction was suppose to help the buyer,in this case the developer is making a killing and not willing to pass anything on to the buyers.

P OFF May 11, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Charles Church are making me want to seek asylum in Iraq at the moment.
Worst experience of my life as you are dealing with people who simple do not care a damn. June 3, 2015 at 8:04 am

I’ve only ever heard bad things about Persimmon group, seems to me like it’s a company to steer clear off at all costs!

Leslie Shirley July 18, 2015 at 9:57 am

My partner and I are in the process of buying a house from Charles Church in Cheshire. It’s disheartening to hear such negativity when we are about to embark on this event. Is there anything positve that someone can say to ease my mind.
We have been Looking for a long time and travelled as far as the Cotswold from Manchester. We seen many new developments and Charles Church always seem to have the best build qualitie. The house we are buying is apparently the first one we saw many months ago.
We have paid the retainer but not signed any papers yet.
I’m not looking forward to telling ‘Her in doors’ about this blogg.

Baggers Height August 31, 2016 at 8:51 pm

My experience of Charles Church at WELLESBOURNE is not one to repeat in a hurry:- shoddy build quality, bodged fit & finish, repeated incompetence and a company of fools to deal with. Customer Services are understaffed and lacking either intelligence or ability, passing every query back to the subcontractors who really aren’t bothered. Frankly Charles Church just don’t care – if you don’t have high expectations then you’ll be fine, but I’d run a mile before buying one of these gingerbread houses again – on the plus side it’s cheap to run, I’d rather pay higher bills and be happy. ‘Lifestyle’ – my backside…..

Gina Worrall September 10, 2016 at 1:52 pm

Forget anything good you have ever heard about Charles Church, it no longer applies since Persimmon bought up the company. Persimmons trade on the Charles Church reputation for quality in order to sell their houses but they do not deliver. My experience could not have been more disappointing or stressful. I would not recommend Charles Church to anyone. 44 snagging items and 4 months since completion and I still have outstanding issues. Poor quality fittings, shoddy workmanship (holes in the walls behind radiators), installing things that are obviously faulty (do they think we wont notice a corroded stainless steel sink or bodged doors!), workmen who constantly do not turn up when you have taken time off to be in, and the fact that nothing gets done unless you keep on at them has made me wish I had never bought my house. Once they have your money they DON’T CARE. The only proactive communication from the site was when I gave Charles Church a poor rating on the NHB survey – I got a phone call straight away followed up with a visit from the Site Manager and his sidekick to tell me they were not happy with my response!

Jack Tervis September 20, 2016 at 2:03 pm

I bought two Charles Church Houses. The first needed some snagging work which was completed in a charming and agreeable manner out of their Wokingham office. I went on to buy another nearby a few years later. My only concern was that after ten years in the neighbourhood, Charles Church would not enforce the covenants regarding commercial vehicles or caravans on the property drives. Their atttitude was that after a decade, it was too difficult to enforce. My neighbout bought the largest caravan allowable for towing on the road and parked it on his front lawn next to out house. He kept promising to move it to a caravan store nearby but has never done so. Otherwise, thumbs up to Charles Church for an excellent experience.

Laura Griffiths November 3, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Like all sales people, when you walk into their marketing office ready to buy they are your best friend but be prepared for Charles Church to stab you in the back.
We reserved our property at Emerald Gardens, Arundel and not long after our buyers buyer pulled out of the chain, within a day Charles Church new about this and threatened to pull the sale if we did not go on their move maker scheme. Not wanting to lose out we decided to proceed with this, we fortunately sold our house again and that’s where the cracks began to show. As we were relocating it was impossible to pop down to the office to discuss anything so had to rely on emails and phone calls, we sent multiple and never received a response. We wanted to advise Charles Church that our buyer had a specific move in date which was a little later then hoped, yet the team could not be bothered to answer our emails and voice messages. We then received an email AT LAST!!! This was to advise us that they have re-reserved our property and as a result was no longer available. This was 3 weeks before we were due to complete!!! And as a result have nowhere to go. We have since found another property but Charles Church are dragging their heels in paying our Reservation fee back which we desperately need to pay for the solicitors on our new property. I have called their customer care line on a daily basis and they do not bother to call you back, I advise you to stay well away for Charles Church!!!

Kate Collier November 14, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Anyone had problems with the fitting by Charles Church of Camaro lime washed flooring. In ny new build of 2 yrs if bubbled in parts and was installed by stalling down rather than nailed down. This is inert material so it is the installation. They will only replace the faulty area and I maintain the whole flooring needs proper installation. Very shoddy and the one thing that couldn’t be picked up on the snagging list.

chris jones April 23, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Have bought 3 houses close together.All smiles and falling over to kiss rear end take your money.Once that has happened,look out and god help…customer care(should be done under trades description for using that title),their first and only thought is to be totally uncooperative,instead of having the mind set of how can we help,what can we do to please a customer of ours,they just want to fob people off,how can we get out of this problem or its no our fault,not covered etc etc etc…never again,have been looking for a house for my daughter..Charles Church..Id rather by a tent with holes in from a convicted liar.Same type of people you deal with.